Since the first post I’ve ended up tinkering with the code for this project every night.
Some notable additions:
- A smarter homepage,
- A new sound-reactive mode,
- An improved Manual mode,
- Behind the scenes tidying to the API.
Confession, in moments of inspiration I tend to buy electronics kit and then end up leaving it unused for ages. I’ve had a Pimoroni Mote kit and a Raspberry Pi Zero W sitting around for some time now, and whilst I originally intended to mount the LEDs in my PC case, I eventually decided to add some much need lighting to my Ikea Kallax bookshelf. Rather than settle for a static display I decided to completely over-engineer this project and make them controllable over the LAN.
So Google recently released their first AIY project on the cover of the MagPi magazine. The kit itself allows you to add voice interaction to your Raspberry Pi and in typical Google fashion it came with a cardboard case to keep all the bits in. Well that was the plan, but unfortunately my kit didn’t come with the case. Nevermind, I have access to a 3D printer! (more…)
Short one today. For another robotics project I’m working on I needed an easy way to mount multiple ultrasonic sensors to the chassis. This mount was designed to be screwed directly to the chassis, whilst allowing the actual sensor to clip in without a permanent fixing.
These next two prints were a little less ambitious than the Unicorn HAT diffuser. Needing a little platform to experiment with robotics I bought a STS-Pi kit with the intention of mounting a Raspberry Pi Zero (with Explorer pHAT) on it to make a teeny rover. I didn’t realise until I received it, that it’s designed to bolt a full size Raspberry Pi directly to the chassis and while you can mount a Pi Zero, you’d need extra bolts to mount one in it’s case. Not wanting to ditch a case (or buy any extra bolts), I set about designing something to fix the problem. (more…)
Whilst the Unicorn HAT is a lovely, colourful, 8×8 matrix, the individual NeoPixels are naturally round and quite bright. Needing to get to grips with our Maker Space’s 3D printer I decided a good first project would be a diffuser that would turn those circular LEDs into square ‘pixels’.